by Caitlin Hendee,
Jun 5, 2017
You’ve probably heard the term mindfulness once or twice.
But what does it really mean? And why is it important when it comes to living healthy and losing weight?
Mindfulness is focusing on the moment, being fully present in that moment, while simultaneously accepting one’s thought and emotions during that moment.
It’s important for weight loss for several reasons. It helps us slow down, focus on the colors, textures, smells and tastes of food, and enjoy each bite more. Studies have shown that mindful eating can stop us from overeating.
It also helps us get out and enjoy nature and new moments, rather than focusing so much on food and our stomachs.
And it’s the best way to stay in-tune with our bodies so we can ensure we feel our best.
Ok, great, so how the heck do we do it?
The best way to describe mindfulness is through examples.
Here’s 20 Things Mindful People Do on a Regular Basis:
- They accept their emotions and aren’t afraid to express them in a healthy way.
- They slow down and are aware of what they’re doing or reading.
- They don’t multitask, but rather focus on doing one thing at a time.
- They exercise, especially outdoors where they can enjoy nature.
- They enjoy every bite of food, noting its taste, texture, color and smell.
- They challenge their own preconceived beliefs and keep an open mind.
- They slow down and take deep breaths, especially when feeling stressed.
- They take short breaks every couple hours at work.
- They take time to enjoy things like art, flowers, clouds and other objects.
- They keep a diary or journal, writing in it at least a few times a week.
- They listen to music without doing anything else.
- They notice one or more things a day that go unappreciated.
- They keep priority and to-do lists, but don’t stress about getting them all done at once.
- They stay aware of what time frame their mind is in (if they they’re thinking about the future too much, they reel it back in and focus on the present).
- They turn off their phone, or at least put it away, for a couple hours each evening.
- They meditate or pray.
- They let their minds wander to creative, happy places.
- They don’t take themselves too seriously.
- They’re curious and love to seek out new experiences.
- They get a good night’s sleep.
Author: Caitlin Hendee
Diet-to-Go Community Manager
Caitlin is the Diet-to-Go community manager and an avid runner. She is passionate about engaging with others online and maintaining a healthy, active lifestyle. She believes moderation is key, and people will have the most weight loss success if they engage in common-sense healthy eating and fitness.